Making good quality accommodation available for all ages
Do you have a spare room in your home? Would you like to earn up to £7,500 a year tax free?
YMCA Somerset Coast, working in partnership with Sedgemoor District Council, Taunton Deane Council and West Somerset Council, have been funded by EDF Energy, Hinkley Point C, to provide the Somerset West Lodgings Scheme. The aim of the scheme is to increase the supply of good quality accommodation in Sedgemoor and West Somerset to be made available to local people of all ages. Anyone with a spare room could be eligible to benefit from the Scheme.
In the current economic climate many people are struggling to make ends meet and some home owners and tenants have thought about letting out a spare room to supplement their income. At the same time, due to increases in rental costs and the shortage of housing, many single people are looking for good quality lodgings as their accommodation choice.
If you would like to start earning an income from taking in a lodger, then the Somerset West Lodgings Scheme can offer you a range of supporting services to get your room ready and guide you through the whole process with free help and advice every step of the way. There can be many benefits to having a lodger, and we have highlighted a few of these for you:
- A potential tax free income of £7,500 a year
- Having the security of someone else living at home with you
- It can help offset any loss in housing benefit due to under occupation of your home (no more ‘bedroom tax’)
- It’s a great way to meet new people
The thought of getting your spare room ready to let and then finding a suitable lodger can be a bit daunting so to help you with this the Somerset West Lodgings Scheme also offers a free range of services to provide a comprehensive package of advice and support to get your room ready to let, these services include:
- Free inspection of your property to assess if it is suitable
- Free advice on any essential works to comply with Housing Health and Safety Rating System and help and support to get the works done
- Grants are available of up to £1000 for essential works and improvements
- An Accredited Room Certificate which shows potential lodgers that you have completed all the necessary steps to reach a recognised standard
- Support and advice with advertising your room
- Help with finding a lodger for you and accompanied viewings if required
- A full inventory service with photographs and a Lodgers Agreement all ready for signing, completely free of charge
- A named contact to support you with any concerns and ongoing advice
If you think that you would like to hear more about the scheme then please call us for a no obligation chat on 07813 599065 and we will be happy to help you. Why not make your spare room start working for you!